Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Pity Lay Shredding - Salute to Level 1

It's finally over! What? You say there are two more levels?!?!?!

Ten days have passed and the first round of shredding has finally come to a close. Ah, 30 Day Shred 1, I will miss you. It was a mixed bag. You were bad, you were good. I am thankful for the peer pressure or I might have dumped you long ago.


Fondest Memories and Observations
  • The "Okay" that kicks off the awkwardness that is Jillian trying to be likable. I probably won't miss you too much.
  • I creak and pop a lot more than a 35 year old should. Hip circles, knee circles, arm circles, lunges - you all make me feel old.
  • Jumping makes my fat jiggle.
  • The background women are taaallllll, Amazonian. Anita seems to be in the best shape, but must be sad about the saddle bags. Natalie's boobs are suspect. She cheats some too. Can't trust someone that smiley.
  • Jillian's demonstrations of the wrong form. Who does that?
  • Admission - I missed one day. I ordered (whoops!) Chinese take-out and accidentally (whoops!) ordered a beer to have at the bar while I waited. Beer + Shred = Hot Mess
  • My cat lying next to me during chest flies, meowing each time I brought my arm down on him, but refusing to move. I guess any little bit of attention is good attention.
  • My floor is gritty! I am seriously going to have to start vacuuming.
  • Unfortunately, my kids did not lose interest as the process continued. They were continually underfoot. Their favorites moves were knee circles, boxing and butt kicks. Sweet Silly's "special spot" was between my legs while I did sit ups.


Current Physical Condition and General Points
  • I remember fondly a day when I could do the full push-ups. I am still not there. The modified are tough, nonetheless. Towards the end, I was throwing in a few extra sets as this is one of the places I really need to step it up.
  • The first 2 minutes of jumping jacks and jumping ropes were always tough. I just don't think I was warmed up by then. By the last set of cardio, I was jumping like I was doing one of those double jumps. I was never coordinated enough to do those with a rope, but I like to simulate.
  • I loooovvvve boxing. I used to take classes from a US light weight champion in another life. I noticed while I was scoping out the next few episodes that they boxed and butt kicked with weights so I started using mine the last few days for those. Prepping for the pain!
  • It never really got too much easier. As the days progressed, I felt more comfortable with what I was doing, my form got better and I was able to tweak things to make them harder, deeper squats and the like, so I was always able to push myself.
  • 20 minutes or so is still hard to cram in. I was often Shredding late at night, after eating dinner. Not ideal. If it weren't for the time change, I would like to think I could get up early to shred.
  • 5 lb. weights are not ideal for everything. It is not enough weight for chest flies, triceps or biceps, but is plenty for pretty much everything else.
  • Weight - TA DAAAA - 165 lbs. That's right. I gained two pounds. My husband is kind and says that muscle retains water when it is trying to heal from working out. I fear that I am subconciously allowing myself to eat more to reward myself for all of the hard work. For the next round, I am aiming to really modify my eating habits. No more grazing!
So, all in all, I still feel good. I feel good that I am doing something for myself, for my health. I still don't look as good as my husband, but I am working on it. I have extended the challenge to him. I want him to do level 1, at least once, maybe the other levels too. I want to see how he does. We'll see if he accepts. If he does, I will note here how it goes.

I have watched level 2 and I is skared! It's getting ugly. I hope I don't cry!

No comments:

Post a Comment