Sunday, March 15, 2009

Food Exchange - March 15, 2009 - St. Patty's Day Celebration

For this week's food exchange, I figured I might as well aim for an Irish celebration. I am a big fan of themes, so it is hard to resist such an opportunity. I used to take the day off work and bounce from bar to bar on St. Patrick's Day. Since my lifestyle doesn't really support that kind of celebration anymore, I'll take whatever I can get.

What I Sent
Joy of Cooking's Irish Stew
I think Irish stew is a great way to introduce yourself to lamb if you have not had it previously or are not a big fan. I usually use a leg of lamb for my stew. It is quite mild in flavor compared to other cuts. I, unlike some people, particularly like dealing with a whole piece of meat with all of its bones, fat and silver skin. I feel like it brings me closer to the food and keeps me aware that it was once a living animal. It makes me more humble and grateful.

This stew is a rib-sticking mix of lamb, potatoes, onions, carrots and barley. The recipe uses a great trick that I use on a few soups and stews. Some potatoes are sliced thinly and some are left chunky. The thin ones melt in to the broth and thicken it while the larger pieces stand up to the long cooking. This stew is particularly satisfying when it is cold out. But, since it finally warmed up this weekend, I sent some gremolata along with it. A finely chopped mixture of lemon zest, parsley and fresh garlic really brightens up a uniform stew when sprinkled over the top.

I was going to also send some Irish soda bread with it, but ran out of time. Perhaps I will get a chance to drop it off before St. Patty's Day hits.

I doubled the recipe and it was more than enough for the three families.


What I Received

  • Three Bean Turkey Chili
  • Mystery casserole - That's not the name. I really just have no idea what's in it yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment