Sunday, March 22, 2009

Food Exchange - March 22 - Just Getting it Done

We need to eat. I am sick and can't taste anything anyway. So, I made something easy.

What I Sent
Maple-Mustard Chicken Thighs
I used leg quarters which I deskinned. I am definitely of the camp that on the bone is better, tastier, juicier, but am not a big fan of skin, unless it is really crispy. I had a huge pack of chicken quarters in the freezer that I needed to use up, so away they go to others' homes. I feel guilty that I didn't provide local, organic, but as I said, they were in my freezer and not to use them would have been wasteful. I promise to be better.

Pasta with Blue Cheese Sauce
There are several recipes for blue cheese sauce on Recipezaar, but I didn't really follow one. Here is what I did.

  • Sauted shallots in olive oil, salted to allow them to sweat.
  • Added flour and made a white sauce of half-and-half and milk
  • Crumbled blue cheese in it and allowed it to melt.
  • Seasoned with white pepper, black pepper and marjoram (I would have liked to have had some fresh chives or parsley, but didn't so added some marjoram instead. Later I noticed that the chicken recipe had marjoram in it, so it was a happy coincidence). No additional salt was really needed. The salt from the cheese and that added to the green onions was enough.
  • I sent along some penne to toss with the sauce. Would also be excellent with gnocchi.
  • When I was in college, I ate at a restaurant that had a blue cheese pasta with grilled chicken and walnuts, so I toasted some walnuts in the microwave and sent them along.

What I Received
Kielbasa Stew
Burgundy Beef and Egg Noodles

No comments:

Post a Comment