Friday, March 20, 2009

Kindergarten Conundrum

I thought it was tough when I had two kids in full-time day care and worked full time, pumping breast milk in the morning, at lunch, in the afternoon, driving home (you read that right!). I thought it was tough when I took a job with a longer commute, adding an hour on to my already hectic day. As it turns out, that was nothing compared to the confusion that ensued when my oldest started Kindergarten.

The miscellany of Kindergarten is getting me down, seriously.

My oldest is in Kindergarten and the youngest is still in pre-school, each with their own schedules, events and other crap I have to remember. Hat day, pajama day, bring in money for this, sign that, bring in a box to make a Leprechaun trap with.... it never ends! A constant flow of reminders, taped up signs, papers, the madness! THE MADNESS! They can't organize themselves enough to send a succinct list of items once a month, even once a week. Items dribble in from both ends every day of the week. The school has assemblies and tells the students things, trusting that they will tell us. My son is in Kindergarten! He can't even keep track of his gloves! So, when things come out that were discussed at an assembly, I then have to write notes or e-mail his teacher to discover the details. To top it off, I just discovered that the school posts items on their web site that aren't communicated any other way. WTF?!

I think it would be even daunting for a stay at home mother to navigate the piles of paper that enter my home. Oooorrrr, maybe that is my own wishful thinking. Perhaps she would keep a chart, perhap labeled in and out boxes by the door to the garage.

I want this to be a growing, experience-filled time for my son. It is partially that, but it often seems that kids are bogged down with all of the nit-picky items that plague us as adults, the miscellany. I am working hard to simplify life, but with the chaos of school on top of everything else we have going on, I feel like I am fighting a losing battle. I understand now why parents so look forward to summer.

1 comment:

  1. "The school posts items on their web site that aren't communicated any other way." WTF is right! What about the people who A) Aren't aware of the site 2)Don't have internet?

    ReplyDelete